Blueberry Jam Butter Cake with Sprinkles

I am back after a 2 week hiatus due to an ever increasing workload which resulted in me falling ill and had to take a couple days off which in turn increased my work load even more. It’s a vicious cycle I tell you!

So before this hiatus gets any longer, I present you this magnificent cake I made for my cousin’s birthday a few weeks ago. She wanted a tall cake. That was her only request. The rest was up to me. So with the challenge accepted, I made...


A three layer butter cake layered with buttercream and blueberry jam and covered with ombre sprinkles.
Bloody hell, that was a mouthful wasn't it!

Oh before I forget, I have to point out that I made the ombre sprinkles from scratch! It was a breeze to make and I'm glad I've added it to my baking reportiare. It's the perfect way of adding colour to cakes and healthier than the average pot of sprinkles as you know exactly what goes into it! The process is really simple although you do need 24 hours for the sprinkles to dry! However, the storage process is simple - just store it in a air tight container or jar and you're good to go! These sprinkles last up to 3 months which is definitely a plus point!

I used my mother's trusted butter cake recipe which always is a guaranteed crowd pleaser The cake held its shape and paired well with the blueberry jam and plain buttercream. However the one thing I would do differently in the future would be to increase the amount of buttercream slathered on between each layer to create more defined layers and also because everyone loves a huge slice of cake smothered in icing, right?
This was my first attempt at making a layered cake and I must say I think I did pretty good job. Admittedly I did get a bit of help with the frosting from mum because I was certain the layers wouldn't be stable enough because of the measely amount of buttercream I used. There was the fear that I would be left with a horrible lopsided cake which would result is me dashing to the nearest bakery for an emergency birthday cake. I panic too much because the end result was beyond satisfactory and the cake held it shape throughout the night before being devoured in some sort of cake frenzy! Needless to say my cousin the height and colour of the cake and I think so did everyone else!




Blueberry Jam Butter Cake with Sprinkles

Makes one 18 cm round cake

Ingredients

113g self raising flour
113g sugar
113g butter
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

⅛ tsp baking powder
1 tbsp milk

Method
  1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  2. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat well.
  3. Add the vanilla and milk.
  4. Finally add in flour and mix until incorporated.
  5. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 15-20 minutes.
Assembly 
  1. Bake three layers of the cake and leave to cool completely.
  2. Prepare a crumb coat. Start assembly by crumb coating the first layer. Slather on a generous portion of blueberry. 
  3. Place the second layer on top of the jam and cover with crumb coat.
  4. Repeat until the layers are complete.
  5. Now frost the cake with icing of your choice.
  6. Place the cake in the fridge for 30 minutes if you find the icing starts to melt.
  7. Decorate cake with design/pattern of your choice.


PS: I haven't included the recipe for homemade sprinkles in this post but if anyone is interested, leave me a comment and I'll be more than happy do a post on it! :)